Warning! Spoilers for Future State: Dark Detective below
Batman is getting a brand-new look. On Tuesday, DC Comics revealed some more details about their upcoming Future State arc and shared a close look at Batman’s new design. The Dark Knight will be wearing a more tactical costume in his upcoming Future State: Dark Detective arc.
DC’s Future State event is a new two-month, line-wide arc that will explore DC’s future. Along with new story arcs, Future State will introduce a handful of new characters, including fresh takes on Wonder Woman, The Flash, Superman, and just about every legacy hero in the DC catalog. The new heroes becoming the focus doesn’t mean old favorites won’t play a key part. For example, Bruce Wayne will be getting a new look and a new role in Gotham City.
In Future State: Dark Detective #1, Bruce Wayne is believed to be dead. However, he’ll be going on the run trying to uncover the mystery of his own supposed death after trying to take down Gotham’s new villainous force, the Magistrate. In the upcoming series, Batman will be sporting a new costume. In DC Nation Presents DC Future State, Bruce’s costume, designed by Dan Mora, was showcased. The look is more militaristic than Batman’s usual design.
The new costume makes sense considering Batman’s on the run and wants to stay hidden from the Magistrate. Gone are his trademark cape, and his logo is spray painted in yellow as opposed to being a physical part of his costume. Batman’s ears also stick out of his cowl. Meanwhile, his utility belt features far fewer pouches than usual (albeit they’re bigger), and it seems he’s carrying around a low-tech grappling gun. It’s fair to assume Batman isn’t working with the same amount of tech he’s used to, as the new costume is lo-fi, at least compared to some of his previous looks. It will be fascinating to see what’s in store for Bruce Wayne’s Caped Crusader as a new Batman also arrives in Gotham. Check out the solicit for Future State: Dark Detective #1 below.
- Future State Dark Detective #1
- “Dark Detective” written by MARIKO TAMAKI
- “Dark Detective” art by DAN MORA
- “Grifter” written by MATTHEW ROSENBERG
- “Grifter” art by CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO
- cover by DAN MORA
- card stock variant cover by JOHN PAUL LEON
- ON SALE 1/12/21
- The world thought Bruce Wayne was dead. They were dead wrong! When the sinister para-military organization known as the Magistrate seizes control of Gotham City, the original Batman went big to put them down…but even the Dark Knight couldn’t predict how far this evil force would go to stop him. Now, Bruce Wayne is on the run! From Eisner Award-winning writer Mariko Tamaki and rising star artist Dan Mora, it’s the story of a Batman pushed to the brink—with nothing left to lose. Also in this issue, Grifter is back! Cole Cash is having a bad day, and that’s not going to improve when the detectives of the GCPD show up! Will a chance meeting with Luke Fox change his luck? Or is his day about to get a lot worse?